Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Tips for Packing: Lists for Packing


Hi, everyone! I decided to start off the Travel Series with a few packing tips. Probably one of the trickiest and most stressful parts about traveling is getting ready for a trip and that obviously includes packing. Packing can become a very chaotic process for a lot of us and when we let ourselves merge into the chaos…the consequences can be disastrous. Throughout the years I’ve had to pack probably a thousand times. There were times where I would spend up to 5 hours packing and had to stay up way past midnight to get everything ready. Because of times like those, I started experimenting with different ways of packing and tricks for the whole process until I found certain things that make everything easier. I wanted to share some of these things with you hoping that they will turn out to be as useful for you as they are for me.

Today, I’m going to start with just one simple tip: Write down lists. For me, this is a key step for packing and travelling. Lists are a part of my daily life. I write down lists for unimaginable things and, believe it or not, they make my life way easier and more organized. Now, if you don’t even write down lists for grocery shopping, I still think you should give them a try for packing. So you are probably wondering “Why would I sit down and write down a list when I could just go ahead and pack?” Well, there are many reasons why lists are great for organization and therefore amazing for packing. First of all, lists help you remember, BUT of course you can’t expect a miracle. If you wake up the day you have to pack and decide to write down a list, it could definitely help, but what is the point? Lists are supposed to help you remember things but with all the stress on packing day you just might forget to write something down and therefore, forget to pack it.  If you allow yourself to write down a list of the things you need to pack with certain anticipation, I guarantee the packing process will become a piece of cake.

When you write down a list before packing day, you have time to think things through and decide what are the best items to take with you. As the trip gets closer, you will come up with items you didn’t think of before and you’ll be able to add them to your list. So, logically, the greater amount of time before your trip you take for preparing, the greater chances are that you will be able to think about everything you could possibly need. In addition, if you write your packing lists with anticipation you will also be able to analyze them and ask yourself “Do I really need to take this?” for every item on the list so that you can avoid overpacking as well. Remember, whenever you come up with another item to add to your list, make sure it’s something necessary or really important, that way you will be prepared but wont overpack.

Now, if you want to you could start off just by writing lists for the things that will go in your suitcase. Personally, I write down at least 3 lists before packing: one for clothing and shoes, one for toiletries and makeup, and one for my carry-on bag. I like to do this because writing down everything that pops into your head when you think “What do I need to take with me?” can be very overwhelming and confusing. When you think of a certain aspect and focus only on the items that fall in that category, everything is simpler.
I know it probably seems like writing this so-called packing lists can be a long nightmare, but trust me, when you realize how much less time you take to pack when using lists and how productive it turns out to be, sitting down to write one (or three) looks like nothing. If you already write down lists for packing or decide to try it, please let me know in the comment section below. 

Don’t forget to stay tuned for a whole list of Packing Tips coming very soon!



Hope you have a wonderful week!



Michelle


Disclaimer: I do not own the images.

No comments:

Post a Comment